An SEO strategist is a digital marketing professional who specializes in search engine optimization (SEO). They help clients improve their website’s visibility and search engine ranking by formulating effective SEO strategies.
SEO specialists are skilled in analyzing a website and identifying areas that can be improved to help it rank higher on search engine results pages. They then develop and implement strategies to improve these areas, such as optimizing website content, improving site architecture, increasing link popularity, and more. By doing so, they help clients boost more traffic and fulfill business goals.
What Responsibilities do They Have?
An SEO strategist’s responsibilities may vary depending on the company, but typically they would be responsible for:
* Conducting keyword research to determine which words and phrases are most relevant to the company’s products and services
* Identifying opportunities for increasing the visibility of the company’s websites in search engine results pages (SERPs)
* Developing and implementing strategies for improving website content to increase its relevance to targeted keywords
* Tracking progress towards goals using web analytics software, webmaster tools, and reporting on results
* Conducting ongoing competitive analysis to stay ahead of changes in the SEO landscape
* Adjusting SEO strategies in response to changing trends and algorithms
An SEO specialist may or may not be responsible for designing or coding the website itself, but they may be involved in guiding how to improve the site’s structure and content to make it more search engine friendly. In larger organizations, an SEO specialist may be part of a team of marketing professionals that includes other specialists such as copywriters, web designers, and web developers. However, in smaller organizations, the SEO specialist may be the only member of the digital marketing team.
Professional Skills Required in an SEO Strategist
The top 10 professional skills required are:
1. Positive attitude: A optimistic attitude is key to a successful SEO career. It shows employers that you are motivated and willing to go the extra mile.
2. Strong work ethic: No one wants to hire someone who is lazy and will not put in the effort. Employers value employees who have a strong work ethic and are willing to go above and beyond what is expected of them.
3. Organization skills: Being organized is essential in any profession. Those with strong organizational skills can stay on top of their work, meet deadlines, and stay organized under pressure.
4. Communication skills: Excellent communication skills are important for those in professions that require interacting with clients or customers. Those with strong communication skills can effectively convey their ideas and thoughts and are also good listeners.
5. Team player: No one wants to work with someone who is not a team player. Those who can work well with others and are willing to help out when needed are typically valued by employers.
6. Flexibility: Being flexible is important in this profession. Those who can adapt to change and be flexible with their schedule are typically viewed as being more valuable to an employer.
7. Problem-solving skills: Being able to identify and solve problems is an essential skill for an SEO manager. Those who can find creative solutions to difficult problems are usually highly valued by employers.
8. Critical thinking skills: Critical thinking is an important skill for SEO professionals. Those who can think critically and see both sides of an issue are usually highly valued by employers.
10. Time management skills: Being able to manage one’s time effectively is an essential skill for SEO professionals. Those who can plan and efficiently organize their time are usually highly valued by employers.
What Does an SEO Strategist Do?
First and foremost, an SEO strategist understands your target audience. They know who they are trying to reach and what type of content will resonate with them. Without this understanding, all of their SEO efforts will be for naught.
Secondly, an SEO strategist is always on the lookout for new and better ways to improve your website’s ranking. This could involve anything from improving existing content to adding new features to the site.
Thirdly, SEO strategists manage social media accounts. They make sure that they are regularly posting fresh content and engaging with their followers.
Fourthly, an SEO strategist always makes sure that they are monitoring their competitor’s websites. By keeping tabs on what their competition is doing, they can stay one step ahead in the SEO game.
Last but not least, an SEO strategist is always willing to put in the extra work required to achieve their goals. They know that success doesn’t come easy and that it takes a lot of hard work and dedication to achieve it.
What Makes a Successful SEO Strategist
Here are six things that set successful SEO strategists apart from the rest:
They Have a Proven Track Record
The first thing you should look for in a strategist is past achievements. A good way to gauge this is to ask for case studies or testimonials from past clients.
They Understand the Algorithm
A successful SEO strategist has a deep understanding of how the search engine algorithms work and how they can be leveraged to improve a website’s visibility.
They Keep Up With Industry Trends
A successful SEO strategist stays up-to-date with the latest industry trends and developments so they can adapt their strategies accordingly.
They Are Flexible and Responsive
A good SEO strategist is flexible and responsive to change. They understand that the landscape of SEO is constantly changing and they are willing to adapt their strategies as needed
They Are Passionate About What They Do
A successful SEO strategist is passionate about what they do and truly believes in the power of search engine optimization. This passion drives them to stay up-to-date with industry trends and to continuously strive for improvement.
They are Techno-savvy
An SEO strategist should know how to use Google analytics, execute search engine marketing, web development, digital marketing, content marketing, analyze data, google search console, website architecture, etc.